Not mush room in here....
Turns out mushroom kits are quite the thing.
I tried a few different versions because I didn't back my rookie gardening skills - apparently I didn't need to worry. The problem instead became wondering what to do with the avalanche of mushrooms that grew!
I tried some from Mushroomate - a high school sustainability project that flourished into a business. I love that they are focused on NZ mushroom varieties and rescue ice cream containers and cafe bulk containers to create their kits.
The other one I tried was from the very funky Good Vibes - which came in a very bench-beautiful cardboard box.
There are heaps of other options out there too!
- All of them have a similar approach.
- They arrive on your doorstep
- Pop them somewhere out of direct sunlight
- Spray them with water a couple of times a day
- A couple of weeks later - BOOM! So.Many.Mushrooms
- Rinse and repeat and you get another 'flush' or two a few weeks later
I got a bit carried away with this benchtop adventure and we ended up with way more than we could eat - so I dried them by throwing them in a low oven. They make an awesome addition to ramens!.
These kits are ridiculously productive, so damn fascinating, and would also make a cool gift for any fungi lovers out there.